Turn empanadas into exciting new treats! Make them sweet or savory – prepare them with fruit jam or spicy meat fillings. Further introduce varieties by offering different shapes and sizes. Pack in attractive container to sell as gifts.
900 g CONTINENTAL All-Purpose Flour
20 g Salt
200 g Whole Eggs (equivalent to 4 eggs)
400 g Shortening
200 g Water
1. In a mixing bowl, combine CONTINENTAL All-Purpose Flour, salt, whole eggs, shortening and water.
2. Kneed until well developed, about 7-10 minutes.
3. Rest the dough inside the chiller for 20 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough into 1mm-thick sheet, using a rolling pin. Place the dough in a floured board and cut into 3-inch diameter round.
5. Put 30-gram meat filling for every 3-diameter round of dough.
6. Fold dough to make a half moon shape.
7. Seal the edges of the dough with fork tines.
8. Arrange the finished product on a greased and floured 12’”x 16” baking sheet.
9. Beat 1 piece of egg and brush on top of empanada dough.
10. Bake at 375ºF for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
For Meaty Empanada, sauté garlic and ground pork until pork is well cooked. Add green peas, carrots, potatoes and raisins. Let cool before putting into empanada dough.
For Bowtie Empanada, cut dough into rounds using 2-inch fluted round cookie cutter. Put filling in the middle. Fold sides towards the center. To seal, use 4-inch dough string and tie around on folded sides. Knot ends of string then bake.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.